Over the past few months, I’ve heard a lot (and honestly participated in) a lot of talk about wanting 2016 to be over. Politics aside, we lost Prince, David Bowie, AND Carrie Fisher.
While the outside world seemed to be a mess, at Byte Back we maintained a singular focus on making the organization work better for our students – the hundreds of incredible adults who come to us every year to learn essential technology skills and move into life-changing careers in technology.
We accomplished A LOT in 2016 – we totally restructured our program to make it easier for our students to move up our training pathway into living-wage jobs, we invested in our Career Services programming, hiring our first ever Career Services Manager, and we rolled out a new logo and 21st century look and feel.
We also brought on incredible new funders, like the NCTA Foundation and the Hearst Foundations, and we had 854 enrollments in our classes. WOW.
2017 is going to be even better – hopefully not just for 80s pop culture icons and for dinner conversations in families with opposing political views. At Byte Back, we are looking forward to a lot of change:
- We’re moving! We’ve been headquartered in the same Brookland row house since we were founded in 1997. It’s been a wonderful home for us, but we’ve grown significantly since then and we’re excited to show you all our new state-of-the-art offices and training space. We’ll be sharing the new location and moving date in just a couple weeks, so please stay tuned. (And, yes, that’s a picture of it!)
- We’re coming to Maryland. We held our first class at the Long Branch Library in Silver Spring in fall 2016, and we can’t wait to offer more classes in Prince George’s and Montgomery counties in 2017.
- Strategic planning and implementation are also big plans for 2017. Thanks to support from Compass, we will have a three year strategy in May. We will also be participating in a strategic plan implementation and executive leadership coaching project starting in August. We are really looking forward to our growth.
- We will continue to build and expand on our partnerships, with government agencies, other nonprofits, and businesses.
- Finally, we will continue to improve and expand the quality of instruction for our students. We will be reviewing and revising our curriculum, and under the leadership of our new Training Manager Ellen Bredt, we’ll provide additional support and guidance to our fabulous instructors to continue to offer up-to-date and exciting digital literacy and certification classes to our students.
We won’t be able to make these changes and iterate and expand without your support. Please feel free to email me at firstname.lastname@example.org if you’d like to talk more about partnering with us – it could be anything from volunteering as a tutor or instructor, to providing an internship opportunity to a Byte Back student, to suggesting locations for us to teach in Maryland, to making a donation.