Chief Operating Officer Position Description
Byte Back is an award-winning workforce development center serving unemployed and underemployed adults and youth. Located across the street from the Brookland Metro (Red Line), Byte Back has over a dozen satellite locations throughout the city. We are seeking a community-minded individual to join our team in the mission to improve economic opportunity by providing computer training and employment readiness skills to low-income residents of the Washington Metropolitan area.
Position Description: The Chief Operating Officer is a newly created senior management position responsible for providing leadership, planning, management and oversight of Byte Back operations, particularly policies and procedures, contracts, risk management, insurance, human resources, administrative services and information technology services. Under the direction of the Executive Director and Board of Directors, and working closely with the Director of Programs and Director of Finance, she/he will assist with strategic operations and setting organizational priorities. The COO will partner closely with the ED to chart Byte Back’s future growth and strategic response to an ever-increasing demand for our services. The COO must be a mission-focused, seasoned, strategic, and process-minded leader with experience developing a performance culture among a group of diverse, talented individuals so as to deliver measurable, cost-effective results toward the fulfillment of our mission. Importantly, the successful COO will have the skills, sensitivity, and personal confidence to tap into the power that each member of the team brings to this mission. While it is essential that the COO bring efficient and effective systems to increase the productivity of the organization, is it also critical that the team retain the passionate spark that drives Byte Back.
- Implement systems which will enhance the organizational process and infrastructure to enable the organization to continue to grow and fulfill its mission.
- Working in partnership with the ED, finalize the strategic plan and implement new processes and approaches to achieve it. Develop and implement a system for tracking and reporting on the progress of the strategic plan implementation.
- Implement and lead a continuous quality improvement process throughout the organization, focusing on systems/process improvement. Upgrade and implement an appropriate system of policies, internal controls, standards and procedures.
- Lead the performance management process that measures and evaluates progress against goals for the organization. Establish and monitor staff performance and development goals, assign accountabilities, set objectives, establish priorities, and monitor and evaluate results. Ensure all staff members receive timely and appropriate training and development.
- Provide for all staff a strong day-to-day leadership presence.
- Oversee, direct, and organize the work of the administrative team, including recruitment, screening, selection, development of performance plans, and implementation of performance reviews. Mentor and develop administrative staff using a supportive and collaborative approach.
- Oversee Information Technology team and regularly analyze the current technology infrastructure and scope out the next level of information technology systems that support the growth of specific programs and the organization overall and ensure IT and data security.
- Oversee all aspects of Byte Back facilities, ensuring that the programmatic and operational space needs of the organization are met.
- Create and implement an annual operations plan
- Serve as agency contract officer, including preparation, review, negotiation, and compliance.
- Monitor and enforce compliance with all applicable city, state and federal regulations and statutes.
- Maintain, track and renew Memoranda of Understanding with partner agencies.
- Provide administrative support to the Board of Directors, maintaining documents, records and resources.
- Cultivate the values of Byte Back within the organization
- Other duties as required.
- At least 5 years of experience and a track record in senior management in a nonprofit organization, foundation, or government agency; extensive knowledge and experience in the area of nonprofit management.
- Self-reliant, proactive, collaborative and results-oriented team leader who can positively and productively impact both strategic and tactical initiatives.
- Ability to think strategically, anticipate future consequences and trends, and incorporate them into the organizational plan
- Passionate about the mission of Byte Back.
- Unwavering commitment to quality programs and continuous data-driven innovation.
- Ability to effectively build organization and staff capacity, developing a top-notch workforce and the processes that ensure the organization runs smoothly
- Superior management skills; a team builder with strong mentoring and coaching skills and the capacity to enforce accountability, develop and empower leaders from the bottom up, and learn the strengths and weaknesses of the team so as to put people in a position to succeed.
- Proven ability to work with efficiency, flexibility, and good humor
- Demonstrated ability to build and maintain relationships with a wide array of people from diverse backgrounds
- Excellent judgment and creative problem solving skills including negotiation and conflict resolution skills
- Analytic decision maker with the ability to prioritize and communicate to staff key objectives and tactics necessary to achieve organizational goals.
- Proven track record of success facilitating progressive organizational change and development within a growing organization
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Able to multi-task, meet deadlines, work independently and as part of a team.
- Bachelor’s Degree in management, business administration or similar field is required.
- Advanced skills in computer applications
Salary and Benefits:
Salary Range: $50,000-60,000. Competitive benefits package and salary, including vacation, sick leave, medical, dental and vision plans, life insurance, educational and transportation reimbursement and pre-tax AFLAC.
Career Development: Byte Back makes a significant investment in the professional development of all employees. This position is an excellent opportunity for advancement for an individual interested in the field of fundraising.
Email resume and cover letter to Ms. Kelley Ellsworth at email@example.com and put “COO” in the subject line. No phone calls, please.