As we continue through this crisis, Byte Back is committed to making thoughtful decisions that prioritize the wellness of our community and being transparent with our updates.
We will continue to work and train virtually through at least the end of December 2020.
Byte Back will continue virtual classes, and most staff will continue working entirely virtually. We will hold limited in-person activities by appointment only under strict safety measures.
How we made this decision:
We want to share why we think this is the best choice for our community:
- There is a continuing high level of COVID-19 cases in Washington, DC and Baltimore.
- The health and safety of our students and staff are our top priorities.
- Many Byte Back students are in high-risk populations. We want to make sure we offer our services in the safest way possible.
- We are a family-friendly organization. Many students and staff have young children who will continue at home through the school fall term. In times where circumstances are constantly changing, we want to make decisions that provide somewhat long-term answers to help staff and students plan.
What activities will be in person?
Byte Back’s will open our licensed testing center BY APPOINTMENT ONLY for certification testing. Students can take their exams in a quiet, official location with the assurance of a consistent internet connection and on-the-spot notification. Students who still need to take certification exams should contact Mark Rivera at gro.kcabetyb@arevirm.
The DC office will also be open by appointment only for students picking up or dropping off laptops or hotspots. We may also start to offer limited in-person class days for Computer Foundations students.
Our limited in-person activities have strict procedures. Masks must be worn at all times at Byte Back and in the 899 North Capitol building. In addition, we are taking temperatures, sanitizing, using plastic barriers between reception and between computers, ensuring distancing, and taking many other measures. Students who schedule appointments will be advised of all procedures ahead of time.
What can you expect next?
As you know, there is so much uncertainty right now, but here’s what we know going forward:
- Byte Back is still here! We will continue to offer exceptional services in DC and Baltimore.
- We will continue to thoughtfully make decisions with our community.
- We are still really looking forward to eventually re-opening. Our internal committee will continue to evaluate conditions and plan for the future to prioritize the safety of everyone who enters our doors.
We’re confident that our amazing students and staff will continue to make this work. We’ll keep you updated by email and on byteback.org.
Thank you all for your patience, resilience, and commitment to the community. Be well and our thoughts are with you and your families.
The Byte Back Team