Byte Back staff are continuing to monitor CDC announcements and warnings about coranavirus COVID-19. We will post updates on this page.
You can also monitor our updates through social media. If anything changes, we will send email and text message announcements to current students. It is our priority to keep students and staff safe.
More Content & Resources:
- Resources for Students during Coronavirus
- Read about Byte Back Students: “Precious & Her Class Are Going Strong with Virtual Learning during Coronavirus”
- Are you still working and want to make a difference for the growing populations of unemployed adults in DC and Baltimore? Consider a donation to Byte Back’s Virtual Training Fund to keep tech within reach.
Update July 8, 2020
Byte Back DC will open its certification testing lab for limited in-person test proctoring for graduates and alumni. Those eligible for CompTIA and Microsoft Office Specialist exams will receive invitations to test. The site will be prepared for social distancing and sanitized. Face masks will be required.
Update May 22, 2020
A message from CEO Elizabeth Lindsey:
As we continue through this crisis, Byte Back is committed to making thoughtful decisions that prioritize the wellness of our community, transparency, and keeping you updated.
We’ve made the difficult decision to continue to work and train virtually through the summer. Byte Back will not require any students or staff members to report for in-person activities through at least Monday, September 7, 2020.
During this time, staff will continue to work virtually, and Byte Back will continue virtual classes.
Why wait until September 7?
We want to share why we think it’s the best choice for our community:
- The health and safety of our students and staff are our top priorities.
- We are a family-friendly organization. Many students and staff (including me!) have young children at home. There are few childcare/camp options this summer, and we don’t want parents to have to choose between their families and work or class.
- The majority of students and staff use public transportation to commute. We want to help people continue to practice social distancing and prioritize the community’s safety.
- Many Byte Back students are in the most high-risk populations for COVID-19. We want to make sure we offer our services in the safest way possible as this pandemic continues.
What can you expect next?
As you know, there is so much uncertainty right now, so we don’t have all the answers. But we have some:
- Byte Back is still here! We will continue to offer virtual courses for DC and Baltimore residents through this time and our staff will maintain their jobs.
- We will continue to thoughtfully make decisions with our community in mind and with their input.
- We are really looking forward to eventually re-opening. We’re convening an internal committee to plan for the future in a way that prioritizes the safety and needs of those who enter our doors.
Even though we can’t be in the classroom together, Byte Back students are still amazingly dedicated to their classes and career goals. And we’re so thankful to our staff, who have been working hard from home to create an enriching learning experience for students.
We’re confident that our amazing students and staff will continue to make this work.
We’ll continue to send updates by email and post information on our website to keep you informed about Byte Back courses and other services.
Thank you all for your patience, resilience, and commitment to the community.
Be well and our thoughts are with you and your families.
CEO, Byte Back
Update April 20, 2020
Byte Back offices in Washington, DC and Baltimore will remain closed, with staff working remotely, through at least Friday, May 29, 2020. Students will continue to learn through virtual instruction. Prospective students and current students should pay attention to emails, texts, and phone calls for specific updates regarding your class. We will continue to post organizational updates here and to prioritize the health of students, staff, and others in the Byte Back community.
Thank you and be safe,
The Byte Back Team
Update March 20, 2020, 4:30 p.m.
Byte Back offices in Washington, DC and Baltimore will remain closed, with staff working remotely, through at least Friday, April 24, 2020. Students in the Professional Track programs will continue to learn through online instruction, which was launched on March 18, 2020. Students should pay attention to emails, texts, and phone calls for specific updates regarding your class. We will continue to post organizational updates here.
Thank you and be safe,
The Byte Back Team
Update March 12, 2020, 5:40 p.m.
Please read the following update from Byte Back CEO Elizabeth Lindsey:
The Byte Back staff and I have been monitoring CDC information and Washington, DC and Baltimore city announcements about coronavirus COVID-19.
First, I want to say that I know that this has been an extremely challenging and increasingly stressful week for everyone. The level of uncertainty, fear, and news that we’re encountering every day is unprecedented.
Thank you all so much for continuing to learn here, work, and support the organization. Second, here at Byte Back we’ve spent countless hours over the past week or so figuring out a plan to ensure that we are keeping our staff, instructors, volunteers, and students safe, and also hoping to maintain as much of our vital training as we can for our participants.
As of Monday, March 16, the Byte Back office will be closed through at least March 31. We will regularly update everyone about when we might re-open.
- All staff are expected to telework, which means our staff will still be responsive to students, partners, funders, and others in our community.
- Classes that were scheduled to start on Monday, March 16 will be postponed – start date to be determined.
- All Computer Foundations classes will be postponed – (re)start date to be determined. We made this decision because we see in-person learning as essential to your course.
- Professional Track level classes that are currently in session will be taught virtually starting on Wednesday, March 18. These classes will not meet on Monday or Tuesday to give us time to prepare instructors and software. We’re providing laptops and wifi SIM cards for students so they can continue learning virtually during this time.
- The remaining Info Sessions scheduled in March for prospective students are postponed – future dates to be determined.
- STUDENTS – please stay tuned for additional information and steps from us.
In addition, please continue to follow these precautions:
- Anyone experiencing relevant symptoms (persistent cough, shortness of breath, fever) should stay home, even if not tested.
- Anyone who has been in China, Italy, Iran, South Korea, or Seattle within last 14 days should stay home.
- Anyone from a high-risk group (elderly or those with chronic illnesses affecting respiration or cardiovascular function) should strongly consider staying home.
- Anyone who has had direct contact (within 6 feet) with someone who has been diagnosed with COVID-19 should stay home.
THANK YOU for your understanding and please continue to stay tuned to email and monitor our website for updates. Please stay safe and continue to support each other during this time.
Elizabeth & the Byte Back Team