The Board of Directors is key to Byte Back’s success, drive, and future.
While day-to-day operations are led by Byte Back’s CEO, the Board-CEO relationship is a partnership, and the involvement of the Board is critical. Volunteer Board members provide mission-driven leadership and strategic governance that help Byte Back thrive.
Interested in Joining the Board?
About Byte Back
Byte Back provides a pathway of inclusive tech training that leads to living-wage careers. As a leader in digital inclusion since 1997, the nonprofit serves more than 500 adults per year in the Washington, DC area and Baltimore. Byte Back students are predominantly people of color, women, and unemployed or underemployed adults. In 2018, 50 graduates were hired, earning $27,599 more per year than before Byte Back training.
Byte Back’s innovative approach and leaders have been featured locally and nationally, at SXSW, TEDx, “The Root 100,” Washington Business Journal, Voice of America, and NBC Washington.
Board Member Responsibilities Include:
- Select, support, and assess the performance of the CEO
- Develop Byte Back’s strategic plan in partnership with the CEO and executive team
- Review outcomes and evaluate the organization’s impact and effectiveness
- Assist in identifying and recruiting other Board members
- Serve on committees and take on special assignments
- Represent Byte Back to stakeholders and act as an ambassador
- Connect Byte Back staff with important opportunities for advancement, recognition, advocacy, and development
- Attend quarterly Board meetings and committee meetings
Every Board member is expected to make a financial contribution to Byte Back at a level that is meaningful to them (minimum $250). In addition, we expect each Board member to make introductions and connect the organization’s development team to funders and donors that contribute $3,000 or more per year.
Ideal candidates will have the following qualifications:
- A commitment to Byte Back’s mission, values, and impact
- An affinity for cultivating relationships and persuading, convening, facilitating, and building consensus among diverse individuals
- Integrity, credibility, and a passion for improving the lives of Byte Back students
Service on Byte Back’s Board of Directors is without compensation.
I'm Interested in Joining the Board