What will you learn at Byte Back?
Here’s a summary, by class, of where you can start and what you can learn:
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Which level is right for me?
1. Little or no computer experience?
Enroll in Personal Computing for Beginners. You’ll learn the basics, such as how to turn on a computer, type, search the Internet, and send email.
2. Know the basics and want to learn more?
You can test out of our basic class and enroll in Office Track, which introduces you to Microsoft Office. Before taking this class, you should have basic computer skills and be able to use email.
3. Ready for advanced skills and a career in admin or IT?
Check out our advanced certification classes like Microsoft Office Specialist certifications or CompTIA A+.
How can I help spread the word about free computer classes?
Print this flyer or share electronically with others who might be interested. Some places where flyers can be hung are community boards at organizations, agencies, churches, and housing complexes. Please obtain permission from the owner of the community board before posting.
Who are the teachers?
Byte Back teachers are skilled AmeriCorps members, volunteers, and professional certified teachers with years of experience.
Here’s what students say about their teachers and education at Byte Back:
- “Like baking cookies, Byte Back takes in small batches of students, and turns out batches of prepared job candidates.” – Ellen Bredt, MOS Excel Certification student, 2015
- “Byte Back doesn’t just teach you computer skills; they hold your hand every step of the way.” – Jewel Smith, A+ Certification Program student, 2013-14
- “For years, I had been looking at the ribbon at the top of the Word document without knowing what any of it did … Now the computer has become a huge asset in my life.” – Alan Banks, Office Track student, 2015
Where are the classes?
Classes are taught in almost all wards of Washington, DC. Beginner classes are taught at various locations of the DC Public Library, Byte Back in the Brookland neighborhood, and at other partner locations. Certification courses are usually based at Byte Back.