Director of IT Academy
Byte Back is an award-winning workforce development center serving over 1000 unemployed and underemployed adults and youth each year. Located across the street from the Brookland Metro (Red Line), Byte Back has over a dozen satellite locations throughout the city. We are seeking a community-minded individual to join our team in the mission to improve economic opportunity by providing computer training and employment readiness skills to low-income residents of the Washington Metropolitan area.
Position Description: The Director of IT Academy is responsible for the planning, development and effective operation of the Byte Back IT Academy and ensuring that Byte Back students are prepared to pass industry-recognized IT certification exams (such as A+, Net+, MOS, MCITP and Linux+) and for entry-level and mid-level employment in the IT and business services fields. The Director of IT Academy reports directly to the Director of Programs and interfaces regularly with the Executive Director.
- Oversee and manage operations of IT academy courses and programs, including IT certification programs and internships.
- Develop and update curricula and program design, utilizing research and guidance from Byte Back’s Technology Employer Committee. Oversee the constant evolution and improvement of the Byte Back IT Academy curricula.
- Hire, train, mentor and supervise IT instructors ensuring that they use Byte Back instructional methodology.
- Oversee recruitment of students for IT courses, working with Communications team on outreach efforts including email announcements, public service announcements, press releases, and social media and website postings.
- Oversee selection of students for IT courses, working with the Director of Certifications and Employment team to determine the candidates for each course/program who would benefit most from Byte Back IT Academy programs.
- Develop training procedure manuals and guides and deliver training programs to certification instructors who may be Byte Back employees, contractors or volunteers.
- Work with Director of Programs to schedule classes based on availability of classrooms, equipment, and instructors.
- Course and Curriculum Management: work with staff and consultants to ensure the quality and relevance of all IT course offerings, checking syllabi and lesson plans for accuracy, consistency, and legibility. Update course offerings and curricula to match changes in technology and the job market, ensuring that all curricula are aligned with the Byte Back teaching philosophy and methodology. Amend lesson plans based upon feedback and suggestions from students and instructors.
- Work with Director of Certifications, Instructors and employment team to create data-driven program improvements to achieve increasing successes in the areas of student attendance, engagement, completion, certification, employment and retention.
- Staff Management: supervise, manage, support and conduct performance evaluations of all direct reports.
- Collaborate with other program staff to set annual program budgets.
- Partner with program team on data collection and analysis to evaluate programs, optimize performance outcomes and to ensure that outcomes are aligned with strategic plan.
- Use a balanced score card and program dashboard to establish consistent, objective program performance standards of accountability
- Provide monthly reports to the Director of Programs and Executive Director.
- Other duties as required.
This is an extraordinary opportunity for an individual with team management experience to grow and further develop a proven program.
- A Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in engineering, technology, education or other related field
- Advanced skills in computer applications.
- Experience building and delivering technical training programs and/or educational programs and materials.
- Self-motivated, creative, and hard-working individual with strong skills in the areas of problem solving and strategic planning.
- Excellent writing, editing, presentation and interpersonal skills
- Able to multi-task, meet deadlines, pay close attention to detail, work independently and as part of a team.
- Demonstrated passion and commitment to serving the needs of the community.
- Demonstrated success developing and evaluating program models, and selecting and successfully operationalizing innovative programs
- Deep experience in using technology for a wide range of solutions, including program evaluation and e-learning.
- Strong skills managing complex, multifaceted projects resulting in measurable successes and program growth
- Experience having worked with a high-performance, collaborative, constructive peer group
Salary and Benefits:
Salary range: $50,000-60,000. Includes vacation, sick leave, medical, dental and vision plans, life insurance, educational and transportation reimbursement and pre-tax AFLAC.
Career Development: Byte Back makes a significant investment in the professional development of all employees. This position is an excellent opportunity for advancement for an individual interested in the field of fundraising.
Email resume and cover letter to Ms. Nicole Owens at email@example.com and put “Director of IT Academy” in the subject line. No phone calls, please.