Want to volunteer? Find out more and apply for one of our volunteer opportunities here.
Byte Back is now hiring for the following positions:
Outreach and Admissions Specialist
Byte Back is seeking a full-time Outreach and Admissions Specialist who will be responsible for recruiting and enrolling eligible students into Byte Back’s innovative technology training program for underserved communities. The ideal candidate is passionate about transforming lives, has experience doing grassroots outreach, and excels at building partner relationships.
About Byte Back
Byte Back is DC nonprofit that provides free technology training and career services to unemployed and underemployed adults in the Washington, DC area. By offering beginner, intermediate, and advanced IT certification classes, Byte Back helps graduates gain invaluable skills, experience higher rates of self-confidence, and launch successful new careers. Byte Back’s programs have provided a pathway to technology skill development and fulfilling living-wage careers for thousands of individuals in the District and beyond who have struggled with underemployment, unemployment, and poverty.
The Outreach and Admissions Specialist, who reports to the Data and Evaluation Manager, is responsible for the following:
- Community Outreach
- Plan outreach and recruit students for Byte Back classes
- Implement strategies to reach young adults, the Latino community and specific neighborhoods
- Develop and maintain partnerships with organizations that serve our student population
- Schedule and coordinate registration sessions in anticipation of new classes
- Train staff on how to register students in system
- Monitor registration records and enrollment goals
- Intake Information and Document Collection
- Ensure accuracy of document collection from students
- Ensure quality data collection on student forms
- Ensure quality data entry on student intake information
We are seeking enthusiastic candidates who are strong networkers and have experience with community outreach. You should have:
- A passion for providing excellent service and working with people from underserved communities and transforming lives
- 1-2 years of demonstrated success in recruitment or community organizing
- Familiarity with DC neighborhoods, wards, and comfort in visiting local areas
- Ability to quickly build rapport with potential students from diverse cultural and social backgrounds
- Experience developing and managing partnerships with nonprofits, government agencies, and the private sector
- Conversational Spanish skills
- Strong follow-through and the ability to work independently and as a team player, managing effectively across teams
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, including the ability to present confidently
- Availability to occasionally attend weekend or evening events
Employment Type: Full-time/exempt employee
Compensation and Benefits: Salary is commensurate with experience. Byte Back leads the nonprofit sector in offering a progressively-minded, competitive benefits package, including: employer-paid medical, dental, and vision insurance; pre-tax flexible spending, dependent care, and transit accounts; paid vacation, holidays, personal days, and sick leave; 6-weeks of paid family leave; 403(b) with 1% employer match; employer-paid life insurance; and additional workplace subsidies and options.
Career Development: Byte Back makes a significant investment in the professional development of all employees, including access to free tech training and discounted exam vouchers for CompTIA and Microsoft certifications.
Due to the volume of applications received, only those selected for interviews will be contacted.
Byte Back is seeking AmeriCorps instructors to introduce technology to adult learners, setting them on a pathway that will ultimately move them into living wage careers and transform their lives. AmeriCorps instructors will receive hands on training on the curriculum, classroom management and conflict resolution before entering the classroom.
The ideal candidates will be passionate about transforming lives, possess the ability to teach technology to underserved DC residents, and have a desire to learn. The instructor will work with a class of no more than 12 students at a time. The instructor must instill in each student an affection and comfort for technology and the confidence to try new forms of technology on his or her own. Few Byte Back students have previously felt successful in an academic setting and have been discouraged as learners in previous experiences. It is the job of the instructor to ease their fears and encourage them to love learning.
About Byte Back
Byte Back provides free technology training and?career services?to underserved adults in Washington, DC.
By offering beginner up to advanced IT certification classes, Byte Back helps graduates gain invaluable skills, experience higher rates of self-confidence, and launch successful new careers. Byte Back’s programs have provided a pathway to technology skill development and fulfilling living-wage careers for thousands of individuals in the District who have struggled with underemployment, unemployment, and poverty.
- Provide hands-on beginning and intermediate instruction and practical training to create an engaging learning environment for underserved DC residents.
- Nurture and guide students inside and outside of the classroom, encouraging them to complete their coursework and practice on their own.
- Evaluate and modify the curriculum to meet the needs of the students.
- Think critically while instructing, looking for new ways to present the material more effectively for the Byte Back students.
- Ensure attendance is tracked daily.
- Administer assessments and record scores.
- Administer end of class survey in accordance to the curriculum guide.
- Provide one on one and group tutoring sessions.
We are seeking 1 full-time and 4 half-time AmeriCorps candidates who excel in relationship building, are results oriented, and have a strong desire to teach adults. You should have:
- A passion for working with people from underserved communities and a strong belief that the sky is the limit for their futures
- Demonstrated proficiency using personal computers, Microsoft Office, Internet and email
- Effective verbal and written communication skills
- Spanish fluency is a plus but not required
Employment Type: Stipend Volunteer (full time 1,700 hours, half-time 900 hours)
Compensation and Benefits: The stipend for first-year AmeriCorps members at Byte Back is $16,420 for full time and $8,210 for half time, health insurance and child care assistance. AmeriCorps are also eligible for an education award at the end of their service year.
Career Development: Byte Back makes a significant investment in the professional development of all employees. Training will be provided prior to teaching classes. Access to free tech training and discounted exam vouchers for CompTIA and Microsoft certifications.
Application Process: Send resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone inquiries, please.
Communications Graphic & Web Design Intern
Byte Back is seeking a part-time intern for our communications/marketing department. The ideal candidate will be experienced in digital graphic design and/or web design. They will be passionate about Byte Back’s mission and about using their skills to help us share our message.
About Byte Back
Byte Back provides free technology training and career services to underserved adults in Washington, DC. Byte Back’s programs have provided a pathway to technology skill development and fulfilling living-wage careers for thousands of individuals in the District who have struggled with underemployment, unemployment, and poverty.
Our communications operations consist of designing, managing, and tracking the success of our website, blog, social media, email marketing, print and digital marketing materials, video production, printed collateral for events, media outreach, and other areas. The communications intern will work closely with the Communications Manager in graphic and web design.
- Commit 5-10 hours per week for a minimum of 4 months or 1 semester
- Use graphic design skills to design visual graphics for use online and in print
- Design with creativity while using our visual branding guidelines and consistent style
- Work with limited supervision and with high attention to detail
Who Should Apply
If you’re currently a student, these areas of study are most relevant to the position, although others may be considered: Communications, Marketing/PR, Journalism, Graphic Design, Web Design. Students should have completed at least two years of college before applying. Those who are not current students are also encouraged to apply.
ALL of the following skills:
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office, internet, and email
- Strong verbal communications and capacity to work in a team environment
- Ability to work independently and problem solve
- Desire to work with a nonprofit organization and assist in the mission of serving low-income and underserved adults in Washington, DC
- Knowledge of visual marketing
Some of the following skills:
- Social media visual content creation for organizations or businesses
- Knowledge of the nonprofit sector
- Photography/video production and editing
- Creative and artistic eye, knowledge of graphic balance and consistent and clear design
- Attention to detail and an eye for consistency in design
- Adobe Photoshop, PicMonkey, or other image editing software
- Adobe InDesign
- Adobe Illustrator
- HTML/CSS/Java and web design
- Constant Contact (or other email marketing platform)
- Real-life experience – great for your resume
- Nonprofit connections and networking
- Personal satisfaction serving the human services sector
- Our experienced communications professional will assist you in practicing, improving, and expanding your skill set in communications/marketing
Application Process: Please review our website graphic design and social media graphics before applying. Send resume, cover letter, and up to three samples of your work to email@example.com. Work samples should show a print, digital, or web graphic design along with a short description of the use of the images.