Byte Back is now hiring for the following positions:
Want to volunteer? Find out more and apply for one of our volunteer opportunities here.
Byte Back is seeking AmeriCorps instructors to introduce technology to adult learners, setting them on a pathway that will ultimately move them into living wage careers and transform their lives. AmeriCorps instructors will receive hands on training on the curriculum, classroom management and conflict resolution before entering the classroom.
The ideal candidates will be passionate about transforming lives, possess the ability to teach technology to underserved DC residents, and have a desire to learn. The instructor will work with a class of no more than 12 students at a time. The instructor must instill in each student an affection and comfort for technology and the confidence to try new forms of technology on his or her own. Few Byte Back students have previously felt successful in an academic setting and have been discouraged as learners in previous experiences. It is the job of the instructor to ease their fears and encourage them to love learning.
About Byte Back
Byte Back is a Washington, DC area nonprofit that provides free technology education and career training to hundreds of adult students. The communities we serve—predominantly people of color, women, and the unemployed or underemployed—have an incredible and untapped potential to change the tech sector. We are one of the only organizations in the country to provide training at all levels, from introductory computer classes to industry-recognized certification courses. Byte Back’s innovative approach was recently recognized with a $360,000 Creator Award from WeWork to scale into Maryland and explore national expansion.
- Provide hands-on beginning and intermediate instruction and practical training to create an engaging learning environment for underserved DC residents.
- Nurture and guide students inside and outside of the classroom, encouraging them to complete their coursework and practice on their own.
- Evaluate and modify the curriculum to meet the needs of the students.
- Think critically while instructing, looking for new ways to present the material more effectively for the Byte Back students.
- Ensure attendance is tracked daily.
- Administer assessments and record scores.
- Administer end of class survey in accordance to the curriculum guide.
- Provide one on one and group tutoring sessions.
We are seeking 1 full-time or part-time AmeriCorps to start now through July 31, 2017. They should excel in relationship building, are results oriented, and have a strong desire to teach adults. You should have:
- A passion for working with people from underserved communities and a strong belief that the sky is the limit for their futures
- Demonstrated proficiency using personal computers, Microsoft Office, Internet and email
- Effective verbal and written communication skills
- Spanish fluency is a plus but not required
Employment Type: Stipend Volunteer
Compensation and Benefits: Stipend plus health insurance and child care assistance. AmeriCorps are also eligible for an education award at the end of their service year.
Career Development: Byte Back makes a significant investment in the professional development of all employees. Training will be provided prior to teaching classes. Access to free tech training and discounted exam vouchers for CompTIA and Microsoft certifications.
Application Process: Send resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone inquiries, please.