Byte Back is a nonprofit computer and job training center, which serves over a 1,000 low-income adults each year. Our headquarters is located in Brookland, across the street from the Red Line Metro station in Ward 5. We also have satellite locations in six wards throughout the city. We are a two-time finalist for the Washington Post Award for Excellence in Nonprofit Management.
The A+ Instructor is a contracted position responsible for teaching our students the technical and practical use of specific hardware programs and methods. The instructor must instill in each student an affection and comfort level for technology and the confidence to try new forms of technology on his or her own. Few Byte Back students have felt successful in an academic setting. They are discouraged as learners. It is the job of the instructor to ease their fears and encourage them to love learning.
- Provide hands-on instruction and practical training to create an engaging learning environment for underserved students.
- Nurture and guide students, encouraging them to complete their coursework, do their homework, study for the exam, and take the exam.
- Use vendor-authorized materials to conduct training, as appropriate.
- Follow established curriculum provided by Byte Back.
- Help develop and modify the curriculum to meet the needs of the students.
- Maintain certification credentials.
The Instructor Is Also Responsible For:
- Taking attendance;
- Administering and evaluating quizzes, tests, and independent projects;
- Distributing and collecting course evaluations and outcome surveys;
- Making sure that all records are complete at the end of each course taught.
- Thinking critically while instructing, always looking for new ways to present the material more effectively for the Byte Back students. Instructors are encouraged to use best practices, as well as authentic classroom experiences at Byte Back, to improve upon the course offerings, curriculum, teaching methods, and teacher training.
- CompTIA A+ Certified/801 and 802 – proof of certification is required.
- Bachelor’s degree in IT, education, or other related fields is desirable.
- 2-5 years of work experience in computer repair, troubleshooting, and networks.
- Ability to demonstrate teaching expertise before a panel.
- Outstanding interpersonal and teamwork skills.
- Strong organizational skills, keen attention to detail, and the ability to adhere to strict deadlines.
Employment Type: Part-time contract. You may choose to teach one or two classes per day Monday through Thursday at the following times: 9 a.m.-12 p.m.; 1 p.m.-4 p.m.; and 6 p.m.-9 p.m.
Class sites are walking distance from the Brookland Metro and Minnesota Avenue Metro train stations.
Apply Now! Our A+ classes begin soon. Please submit your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org or call (202) 847-3168.
Discover more about Byte Back here at www.byteback.org before applying.